Summer means picnic time and there’s nothing better than packing a fresh, flavorful spread for you and your friends to enjoy. I’m so excited to make my next smorgasbord, which is my personal picnic style, but if you crave a main dish instead, give this sandwich a try! It combines the best of the picnic season: grilled veggies, fresh baguette, light goat cheese and crispy greens. The crispy baguette bread protects the sandwich and makes for a hearty lunch from your basket, on the beach, camping, hiking or roadtripping. Summer’s here!
• 1 good fresh baguette such as Easy Tiger’s
• 1 zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1/4″ thick slices
• 1 summer squash, sliced like the zucchini
• 1/2 red pepper, sliced
• 1 large portobello mushroom, sliced thick
• 1/2 red onion, sliced into thick rounds
• 2-4 tablespoons goat cheese
• 2 handfuls of fresh leafy greens, like a mix of spinach and arugula
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for a drizzle
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• a few big grinds of kosher salt and fresh pepper
Get your grill started then mix the sliced veggies with olive oil and vinegar in a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Allow the vegetables to marinate from 30 minutes to overnight, ensuring that each piece has been coated with the marinade. Grill the vegetables up turning them once after about 8 minutes, once each piece has medium grill marks. Allow the veggies to chill, then pile the pieces evenly onto a torn baguette in a way that ensures each bite will be delicious! top with a few dollops of goat cheese and a handful of leafy greens, then drizzle with olive oil. Roll the sandwich in parchment paper or saran wrap and go for a picnic!